Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cartmel Peninsula/Autumn


A sketch I made yesterday from Warton Crag looking north/ north west across the Cartmel Peninsula towards the higher hills of the Lake District. I drew in white pastel, on a base of acrylic - if I ever have left over paint I just cover a page of my sketch book. It was amazing light; the hills were lit in parts by glimpses of sun which had escaped the dark clouds, creating small golden fringes and pools of light which contrasted with the darkness of the hills. Dark, because unlike most of Lancashire, or the UK for that matter, north west Lancashire and south Cumbria is still largely covered by woodland - hazel, birch, holly, ash, yew, rowan, elder, lots of berries looking beautiful at the moment. Today it's cold and wet, the heating is back on for the first time, Autumn has definitely arrived.

2 comments:

  1. Will have to visit Lancs sometime - I love native deciduous woodland...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks amazing ... i can really imagine the whole area in such dark tones ... love it.

    ReplyDelete