Tuesday, January 4, 2011

3 views of Bowland/Happy New Year!







Happy New Year!


These oil sketches are a bit late in arriving on the blog, as I actually painted them late last summer. The Forest of Bowland is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) located in north Lancashire, almost on my doorstep. Bowland is mainly barren gritstone fells , fringed with struggling stony hill farms, and lower down a jumbled mosaic of walled pastures. Lots of sheep, and the UK's densest population of hen harriers. As in most prolific, not stupidest. The light is beautiful, especially towards evening as the sun reflects off the Irish Sea. I have a theory that places near the sea have especially nice light. This is probably rubbish, or coincidence, however, I'm sticking to it.

Most people scurry past Bowland on the M6, on their way to the Dales, or the Lake District. A recent TV series may change this, though, Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon visited Bowland in the extremely surreal comedy series 'The Trip' and then the Guardian wrote a follow up travel article for the NW of England. Come and visit, and buy some local artwork...

http://www.forestofbowland.com/

PS> One of my New Year's resolutions is to try to update my blog a little more frequently. Part time teacher training is sapping my writing power. Plants versus Zombies on my iPhone may be another culprit, but it's much more fun than writing about teaching theory, so I don't mind. I am trying to learn drawing on my iPhone but so far have no publishable results.

No comments:

Post a Comment